May 10, 2010

Details

So much planning. So little time.

I am so excited for summer adventures, but already feeling brain-dead from all the planning. Things were supposed to kick off last weekend with a trip down south for the Kentucky Derby. Attending the annual event was placed on my bucket list quite awhile ago but despite soliciting promises from friends well in advance, 2010 was not my year. I comforted myself with a second trip to the Virginia Gold Cup.


Yes, there were horses.





This past weekend I had a friend crashing with me on her journey from Boca Raton, FL to Massachusetts. While practicing my good hostess skills (the reason for this is coming), I also managed to book the final details of my trip to Ireland: the rental car! Besides the round-trip flight, which was the first thing booked, the rental car was the second most important detail--yet I left it until last! So overwhelmed by details was I, that I forgot an evening trip to Europe means landing a day later and I booked the car starting on May 21 instead of the 22.  A five-minute international phone call this morning fixed my error and saved us 30 Euros, but left me feeling very frustrated with myself as I take immense pride in my attention to detail. (Maybe pride is my problem and not sugar-fueled, late-night, online rental car bookings?!)

Before I get to experience Ireland, I need to survive five days as the perfect hostess. My mom is coming to town! Her last (and only) trip to visit me was shortly after I moved in to my first apartment in early 2008. Prior to her visit I was really excited to show off my new found grown-up skills and life. After her visit I realized that my sparsely furnished apartment and relatively empty cabinets and refrigerator were not exactly welcoming. Giving up my bed and taking the couch for a long weekend wasn't enough to earn a return visit. I was matter-of-factly told that I go back home to Massachusetts frequently enough and that she would just see me there. Hmph! Well she has been forced to return to attend a family friend's graduation from GW and I am determined to run the best little bed-and-breakfast that ever existed! Deep cleaning is already in progress, grocery lists are being drawn up and outings and adventures are being coordinated!

Then...
I am off to Ireland for ten days!
Back to DC for 3 weeks...
Up to MA for the siblings' birthday!
One weekend ruined by the removal of my wisdom teeth :(
Fourth of July Southern Road Trip (if my friends come through)!
Austin, TX for Aquapalooza?
Disney World?
Charleston, SC?
Maine for My 25th Birthday!


At some point I will probably run out of money, but at least the Bahamas Cruise in October with some girls from high school has already been paid for and booked! And at 25 years old my "sign up for real life" plan goes into effect. My life will be much less fun after that. But that is another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment