March 12, 2010

Choices and Beliefs

I was raised Catholic in a way that is perhaps unique only to Catholics, meaning that it was more of an identity than a belief. I almost never went to church as a child. I only dressed up and made an appearance for First Communions and Christenings and occasionally on Easter. I was, however, forced to go to CCD for ten years. I was sent to learn about my religion and to receive the sacraments--Reconciliation, First Communion, and Confirmation. In my ninth year of CCD I announced that I was done and had no desire to finish and be confirmed. I did not want to be Catholic. My mom laughed and told me I was crazy and couldn't choose not to be Catholic. "You are Catholic", she said, "saying you don't want to be Catholic is like saying you don't want to be Irish. You can't change it. You were born that way." And so I was confirmed.

I took the name Elizabeth in honor of my new patron saint--who must have been very important and done some very important things--and promised to live my life as a good Catholic.

Although my dad's family has always been religious, he was not. He agreed to be married in the Catholic Church and to have us raised as Catholics and even went as far as attending our rites. His own beliefs were never shared, however, and I am not sure if that was because he didn't give it much thought or he knowingly kept them to himself to prevent conflict. As a result, my mother was the biggest religious influence in my childhood. My mom always shared her belief in God and the importance of prayer, but never pushed attending church as a means of getting closer to God. She doesn't question his existence and has no doubts that one day we will all be together in Heaven. She taught me that the bible probably isn't entirely true, but that it was divinely inspired. She compared biblical stories to fables, in that they were both written to teach us a lesson about how people should behave and treat one another. To this day, both types of stories provide me with more confusion than guidance. Don't trust talking serpents? Leave something better than trails of breadcrumbs when walking through the forest with your brother Hansel?

As an adult, can I simply choose?
Last fall I attended a Catholic wedding, and for the first time ever I made the choice not to get up and receive communion. I may be stuck being Catholic, but I will no longer act on it.

I believe in God. Not because I want to, but because I do. It just feels right. I don't necessarily believe that humans were made in his image, but maybe. I don't believe the bible has anything to do with anything. I don't know if I believe in Heaven, but I once did and I desperately wish I could just choose to believe again because I find solace in the idea. I don't believe in prayer. I believe that God, in whatever form he takes, truly does know all and that there is no need for me to get down on my knees and beg for the health or life of a loved one. He knows what I want. He can see it in my soul, but he will let life take its course whether I like it or not, whether I ask for it or not.

I do, however, stop to tell him I am sorry. To make it clear when I have done something wrong and learned my lesson. I fear punishment if I willingly do wrong, but I have no expectation of reward if I pray. Is that illogical? This all happens in my head. I don't go to church or talk about it with others. Sometimes I think maybe these discussions really are just between me and my moral compass and that there is no God. I think I would be okay with that too. It's personal and it should be.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you shared your story!! I'm curious though...Does your mom really believe that you can't pick and choose your religion? Or was that just a way to keep you going to church?

    I am on the same boat with you as for praying. One thing that someone said to me that really stuck is the fact that we don't pray to God to sway his decision. We are to pray to him to show him that we trust in Him, and know that whatever happens is His will.

    You have a very interesting story and i'm sooo happy you shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    I am in this boat as we speak. And you're absolutely right about the generation before us. My parents would have thought I was being blasphemous if I entertained thoughts of another religion growing up. In fact, check this, I got punished as a teenager for attending a Methodist youth group. Seriously, my mom grounded me.

    I did find a Catholic church that I was at home in. That church became like my second family. I helped start up our parochial school and was on the board that hired our first principal. My kids have attended that little school since its inception. 2 of my daughters graduated from the 8th grade there.

    About a month ago, I pulled my youngest out of that same school, the one she's attended since she was 3 years old and planted her in public school right in the middle of the school year. Administrations in both the church and the school have changed and it seems like instead of progressing, they were stepping backwards into the old, dark days of Catholicism. I'm sure you have an inkling of what I'm talking about if you've been a Catholic all your life.

    I haven't been back to church since. This parish, my second family, I've stepped away from them. I'm not sure if it's forever. I'm not sure what will come. I just know I needed to think about a lot of things. It's not about God. It's about the man-made church. So, we will see. I totally, totally get where you're at. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura-- I think my mom really does believe that. I mean, she understands obviously that adults have free will to worship wherever they want or believe what they want, but I think for her it wouldn't change who I am. I would just be a Catholic who goes to a Methodist church, for example.

    I can't say all Catholics believe this, but as I said in my post, the ones that I grew up with look at their religion as an identity. I guess this viewpoint is necessary since most of them aren't remotely active in the church but still strongly consider themselves Catholic. I guess it can best be compared to Judaism, which most people accept as a culture more than just a religion...not quite a "race" but more than just a group with similar beliefs.

    Even when completely disassociating from the church and its teachings and traditions, it is still hard to give up the label.

    ReplyDelete