March 14, 2010

Time for Spring Cleaning!

So last night I hosted my first swap party! Not knowing what to expect, I limited the invitations to my close friends and provided lots of food and drink to temper any potential chaos or confusion. Usually I don't send out invitations and just spread the word by text or email, but this theme required some more details. I sent out the invite below as my best attempt at a succinct explanation of what I had in mind for the evening:


When: Saturday, March 13 @ 7:00pm (ish)
Where: My Apt
What: Swap Party!
Why: Oh, Please!

Okay, let me tell you why...If you are anything like me, you have drawers and shelves and closets filled with clothes and accessories. Some are your favorites, some are for work, some are for special occasions, some are "fat-day" items and some really just sit there taking up space. You give things to Goodwill after you have gotten use out of them (or the minute they come out of the box from your Nana?!), but still you have things that get neglected day after day.

I definitely have this problem! Honestly, I think I have items that still have tags and as perverse as it sounds I feel bad giving perfectly good things to Goodwill. I keep telling myself I just might wear it one day or I should hold on to it longer because it was a gift. But, alas, no more! Think of this like adoption day at the pound, except I am giving away purebreds! I want my stuff to have good homes and I want my friends to partake in the giving and the sharing!

What to Bring: You can bring 20 items or 2. Bring whatever you decide is taking up space and deserves to be adopted by someone who will love it more than you. It doesn't have to be brand new or never worn, but you want people to take it home, not pick it up with two fingers and move it to the side. Think: Jackets, Jeans, Sweaters, Shirts, Skirts, Hats, Belts, Shoes, Bags, Jewelry... Bonus points for creative sharing! Whatever people don't take you can bring back home or leave with me and I will do a Goodwill run.

What you Get: New stuff for free! (You might be heading home with a fabulous "new" clutch or the perfect shirt for Date Night.) Also, the joy of seeing your stuff make another girl happy!  And just as important: wine, snacks, good conversation and the chance to mock the amount of argyle I own!



So I provided the wine and brownie bites, bruschetta, popcorn and candy. Then I laid out a nice selection of neglected clothes from my wardrobe. Most of the things I put out found themselves a new home, which is what I needed since I have reached my limit on closet space! Okay, I also snagged a few cute items for myself from other people's closets, but not nearly as much as I gave away. The one thing I didn't predict was the vast amount of clothes and accessories that would be left over after the party. I thought it would be more of an even trade, but everyone seemed to go home happy with things they will love and wear! I guess I will be heading over to Goodwill this week!


1 comment:

  1. I belong to a forum called SWAP MAMAS and have found it to be well thought out. I bet you would like it and get a turn out for your party. Here's the link to join if you are interested: http://www.swapmamas.com/

    ReplyDelete