March 21, 2010

First Day of Spring!

After spending four hours in a cold, fluorescent-lit ice rink, followed by a Metro journey that was uncomfortably hot and unnecessarily long, I finally got to enjoy the first day of spring! It feels like it has been a long time coming after this winter. I spent the afternoon with some friends at Great Falls in Maryland. We went to hike the Billy Goat Trail, but it was closed due to flooding. While I would like to go back and try to hike it another time, I can't say I am sorry that my afternoon required slightly less exertion than originally planned. Great Falls is an area between Maryland and Virginia where the Potomac River drops about 60 feet in a series of waterfalls because of the ice age and the flowing water and maybe some silt and possibly plate shifting. Okay, I didn't really read any of the signs, but I took pictures!



Blue Skies


Rocks to Climb



Trees Turning Green



Raging River



Crazy Rapids



 Closed Trails



Cold Water

No comments:

Post a Comment